Getting started – M-PESA Registration Process
To register for M-PESA, the customer will visit an M-PESA Agent outlet / Safaricom Retail Centre or Care Desk and present a mobile phone with a Safaricom SIM card and a valid Identification document, which can be either:
- Kenyan National ID
- Valid Kenyan Passport
- Valid Foreign Passport
- Kenya Military ID
- Kenyan Foreigner Certificate
The customer will receive a confirmation message from M-PESA that the registration has been successful and a numeric start key (PIN) which they will use to activate M-PESA on their phones. After this step, the customer will fill the M-PESA Customer Registration Form; the agent will confirm the details & sign the registration form. The Customer will also sign the registration form and retain a copy as proof of registration.
Customers who want to register using these documents for identification – foreign passport, military ID and Foreigner Certificate must visit a Safaricom shop or Care Desk as the Agent can only register users with Kenyan Passport or National ID.
M-PESA Activation Process:
After successful registration, the M-PESA customer will need to activate M-PESA on his/her mobile phone using the 4-digit M-PESA PIN sent by SMS from M-PESA after registration.
Activate M-PESA account by following the guidelines below:
On the SAFARICOM Menu:
- Select M-PESA menu then select Activate or Wezesha. (The MPESA menu allows you to use Swahili or English Language.)
- Enter the ‘M-PESA PIN received via SMS.
- Create your own Secret PIN, (a four-digit number) and confirm the secret PIN.
- Enter ID number; the same one used during registration.
- Upon successful activation, the customer will receive a confirmation message with their balance.
The customer will receive the M-PESA menu on their phone, under Safaricom, with following sub-menus:
- Send Money
- Withdraw Cash
- Buy Airtime
- Loans and Savings
- Lipa na M-PESA
- My Account
Customer can also download mySafaricom App from the app store and access among other services, Fuliza M-PESA, Bill Manager and M-PESA Global.