The transfer of motor vehicle ownership is an easy online task via the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) Traffic and Incident Management System (TIMS) account.
Below is the process of transfer:
1. Creating a TIMS account.
- For one without a pre-existing account:
- Go to Register
- Both buyer and seller to create an individual account.
- Fill in the required details.
- Enter your mobile number to receive a verification code (Mobile number once verified cannot be changed except through a court of law gazette notice)
2.Making the logbook transfer
- Click on vehicle registration to access the menu
- Click on apply for transfer of ownership
- Click on create new button and key in the vehicle registration number
- Click on inquire to find information about the vehicle
- Then click view to get more information
- Upload a scanned copy of the logbook
- Key in national ID number if making the transfer as an individual (If transacting as a company, key in PIN number) then click the ADD option
- Proceed to security verification, select mobile then enter the verification code that is sent.
Note: Under New Vehicle, the seller should select whether they are individual, company, dealer, or financial institution.
Note: Once the seller clicks SUBMIT, the buyer will receive a notification via SMS that the vehicle has been transferred to them and that they are required to either accept or decline the transfer.
3. Accepting the motor vehicle transfer.
Go to Log in
- Click on view to see the vehicle details
- Verify using the Code sent via SMS
- Key in the verification and either accept or decline the transfer
- Submit the application to be sent to NTSA for processing
- Your logbook should be ready within seven working days.
Note: If you click on accept, fill in the required information; decline will revert the vehicle back to the owner.