Although Instagram is a fantastic platform for connecting with and sharing content with people you know, there are times when you just want your account to be anonymous. However, if your phone number is linked to Instagram, people who already have your contact information on their device can still find you on this app even if your account is set to private.
So, if you want to keep your contacts from finding you on Instagram, follow these steps.
To remove your phone number from Instagram, follow these steps:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Sign in to your account.
- Tap on the profile picture in the bottom right corner to access your profile.
- Tap the three-line icon in the upper right corner.
- Select Settings.
- Select Personal Information (the last section)
- Add an email address to your Instagram profile.
- Tap the link in the email to verify your email address.
- Click on your number, then the X icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
Completed! You no longer have a phone number associated with your Instagram account.
On the desktop
Open a browser on your computer and navigate to instagram.com.
Log in to your account.
Go to your Profile by clicking the Profile icon in the upper-right corner of the screen on the homepage.
Click the Edit Profile button to the right of this screen.
Continue scrolling until you reach the Phone Number section.
Simply delete the phone number that is currently listed on your profile.
Disconnecting Instagram contacts
- Log into your Instagram account by opening the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap the last icon in the bottom-right corner to go to your profile page.
- To open the menu, tap on the hamburger icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Then, select Discover People.
- Finally, toggle the Connect Contacts button from on to off to save your changes.
While Instagram has several different options that can often be quite handy, sometimes you simply need to keep your privacy by removing your phone number from the app. Thankfully, this simple guide will help you to achieve just that.